- Memoirs of a Pimp (1967),
- A Passion Course (1969),
- Double Exposition (1984),
- The Novi Sad trilogy – Memoirs of a Pimp, Double Exposition, Eckhart’s Ring (1993),
- The Great Central-Eastern-European Feast Enters a Picaresque Novel (1996),
- Exterritorium (2000),
- Parenesis (2003). Novella: We are Swearing, and Our Eyes are Full of Tears (collection, 1969).
- The Challenge of a Poem (1975),
- Renounciation and Survival (1986),
- Abraham’s Knife (theatre essays, studies 1987),
- Life on the Edge (1992),
- Wittgenstein’s Weaver (diary essays, 1994),
- Homeless Essays (2002),
- Writing time, meanwhile (diary notes, 2003).
- Dramas: Judita and Other Dramas (2005) – Drivers, Judita, Across the Seven Seas,, Medea…
- Mladost, Ady Endre, Free Press, Déry Tibor, Jelenkor, Gold medal for the overall literary work, presented to him by the President of Hungary (2000),
- Book of the Year in Hungary (Exterritorium, diary during the bombing, 2001),
- Milán Füst for prose by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (2003),
- Regional Pulitzer prize for Hungary (2005),
- “Kossuth” Prize, the highest Hungarian prize for art (2009).